Autopsy: BIA student died of alcohol poisoning
Friday, January 16, 2004

An autopsy blames alcohol poisoning for a Bureau of Indian Affairs student who died at Chemawa Indian School in Oregon.

Cindy Gilbert Sohappy, 16, was placed in a holding cell for unruly and intoxicated students. She was found dead on December 6.

The BIA and the FBI are investigating the death. Four school staff members have been placed on paid leave pending the result of the probe, The Oregonian reported.

Get the Story:
Alcohol blamed in Chemawa death (The Oregonian 1/16)

Oregonian Special Series:
Warm Springs - A Place Where Children Die

Relevant Links:
Warm Springs Tribes -

Related Stories:
Oregonian: Alcohol, drugs and abuse destroy family (01/07)
Terry Cross: U.S. has failed Indian children (12/15)
Warm Springs teen dies at BIA boarding school (12/12)

All stories in the Indianz.Com Archive are available for publishing under a Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)