Advertise:   712.224.5420

Wyoming tribes await trust fund settlement

Two Wyoming tribes who successfully sued the federal government for breach of trust are expected to receive a $10.5 million payment within weeks, according to The Jackson Hole Star-Tribune.

The Eastern Shoshone Tribe and the Northern Arapaho Tribe filed suit in 1979, alleging mismanagement of oil and gas royalties, of sand and gravel assets and of trust funds. After winning several court decision, the tribes have reached a settlement on some post-1973 issues but the pre-1973 claims remain.

The tribes will split the $10.5 payment equally. Each tribe will then distribute 85 percent to tribal members, with the remaining 15 percent to go to tribal programs.

Get the Story:
Tribes may get $10.5M in settlement (The Jackson Hole Star-Tribune 1/28)

Relevant Links:
Eastern Shoshone Tribe -
Northern Arapaho Tribe -

Related Stories:
Wyoming tribes say BIA didn't negotiate best deal (10/17)
Federal Register: Wind River Reservation drilling (09/27)
Oil companies to pay $1.3M in Wind River settlement (06/07)
Wind River tribes expect $6.5M for winning trust case (04/20)
Supreme Court refuses Bush appeal of trust case (04/19)
Supreme Court to weigh appeal of trust lawsuit (04/07)
Wind River Tribes settle some trust claims for $12M (06/11)
Wyoming tribes win appeal of breach of trust lawsuit (04/08)
Appeals court revives Wind River royalty fraud case (4/7)
Judge advances suit over royalty mismanagement (10/03)