indianz.com your internet resource indianz.com on facebook indianz.com on twitter indianz.com on Google+ indianz.com on soundcloud
phone: 202 630 8439
Fredericks Peebles & Morgan LLP
Advertise on Indianz.Com
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Free for All
 Saturday morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Tweet
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jrustywire
Tribal Council Member

449 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  11:07:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrustywire's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is Saturday morning and I've been listening to the oldies on the radio, some good ones on today...been thinking about things...wondering what the world is like out there today...
how would it be to walk along the ocean at sunrise...
to eat breakfast at a greasy spoon along the iterstate somewhere in Oklahoma...
to be sitting in Toadlena on the Navajo Rez, my home and feel the dew drops on the cedar the early morning smells of a new day, to hear the blue birds sing and look across the horizon, clear blue skies with just hint of a cloud. Listening to the sound of someone far off chopping wood and smelling the smok of a breakfast fire of cedar and juniper...standing there with a cup of coffee mixed with a little cram and sugar and to turn and see my father standing down by the corral and hear the sound of my grandmother laughing to hear the philco radio tell a story about how three lost sheep were found wandering around Farmington, and the police spent two hours trying to schase them down...She used to say, why do those people gust grow hay, that gras just to cut and throw it away...Yahdahlah, she would say...and in the distance I can hear the children laughing as they stand by the wash watching small twigs float down the stream. My mother would be coming in ans telling me to check the truck, it is town day and we have to head to Gallup...a chance to maybe go to a movie, to walk around and see what is new...maybe to eat some Kentucky Fried Chicken or just to see what is on the road today...and in a blink of an eye it is all gone and I am far away from there...whare was I...ah yes standing outside in the early morning light...feeling a light breeze and thinking of a time long ago...

Tachiinii
Elder

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  11:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tachiinii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya' at' eeh abini! Shouldn't you be out picking pinons! I would if I lived out there.

Edited by - Tachiinii on 09/17/2005 11:54:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfe
Elder

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
24617 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfe's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanx, Rusty, for placin' a smile on my face this morning.

Live well. Laugh much. Love often.

Go to Top of Page

Lori_L
Elder

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  1:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting ready to make the four hour drive home today - I look forward to hanging out with my pop, keeping fresh coffee running. It's like camping because there's no hot water and I have to search for showers.

I love going home.

Go to Top of Page

moose
Elder

USA
7736 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  1:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Rusty for getting this Saturday morning off to a great start.

Toksha,
Moose

Edited by - moose on 09/17/2005 1:26:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

mc0m
Elder

USA
2113 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  12:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
Elder

UK
6273 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  09:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's another soothing piece to read, Rusty. I got to it Sunday lunchtime rather than Saturday morning - I love that description of your family days from a long time ago.

Bella
Go to Top of Page

earthw7
Elder

Reunion Island
27577 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  09:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit earthw7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah Rusty you bring tears to my eye. I can remember the smell of wood burning in the morning, coffee my grandma would make on the cook stove. My uncle's feeding the horses and my brother wateing them. My sister feeding the chickens and our racoon Ricky always getting in the way. Today they are all gone and I sure miss those days with grandma in the country when life was simple.

“I have not much to tell you except to help understand this earth on which you live. If a man is to succeed in the hunt or the warpath, he must not be governed by his inclination, but by understanding the ways of animals and of his natural surroundings, gained through close observation.”
Tatanka Ohitika—Brave Buffalo,

Go to Top of Page

jacksta_
Elder

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya'a'teeh rusty

you still at canyon de chelly?

was thinking of maybe driving out there this weekend to meet up with you...I want to hear your stories in person

jacksta

"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

jrustywire
Tribal Council Member

449 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  08:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrustywire's Homepage  Reply with Quote
will be sitting at White House Ruins Overlook sitting in a dark red jeep cherokee eaating pinons selling rocks to the ruristas, then headed over to Pinon Saturday evening to watch the fall gathering of skin walkers...just over there abuot a couple mils from the old store.. then back to Canyon De Chelly Sunday...my jeep is just a plain ride..but I will have some navajo tea if you want to have a cup...will be wearing a redskins cap...how politically incorrect can you get..maybe we can spite some achi'i' and chew the fat for while, Jacksta....rustywire
Go to Top of Page

jrustywire
Tribal Council Member

449 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  08:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrustywire's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacksta this reminds of tis one story, happened maybe two three years ago dahtsi(maybe)..this one Navajo girl was headed in her old Chevy pickup to Tsaile drving to Canyon De Cheely when she spotted an old woman waking to the same way, so she stopped and gave her a ride...they rode for a while and this girl kept talking about Mary Todakanzie Bedoni Wilamina Joe Biakeddy, some call her Toad for short who used to work at that Hubbels Trading Post, she was from Nazlini originally, well she kept talking about her saying she was the one that took her boyfriend Harry Joe Behgashi Naa Yazhi Todacheenie Bitsilly, some call him Cow Eyes, since he droopy eyes like a cow and girls from Burnside Junction sure like thos kind, well she said that one girl, Toad have him some Cheetos, not just any cheetos but the new kind that have chili on them and he sure went for those kind, anyways everyone knows that went to Hunter Point boarding school if you give Cow Eyes Cheetos that is all it takes to make him girl crazy, They can tell you that because this old woman, Bessie Holiday from Oak Springs, she gave him somm Cheetos at Two Story Trading Post, and he followed her around hanging around the trading post everyday just for a chance to get some more Cheetos. He still goes over there even though the store is closed now and looks inside the boarded up windows hoping for something but who know what, anyway, he was her boyfriend at one time until that one girl got in the way...anyway by the time she got to talk about what happened they were in Tsaile, and night had fallen, and when she looked outside there was no moon and she heard a growling sound as she sat there and slowly she looked but before she could see the door was open and the she was gone...Toad could see her running into the sage brush headed for Roof Butte, somewhere that away and she wondered how come she took off so fast...and then she heard another sound behind her...a low muffled cry, the sound of horses running, a whoe group of four or five, their hooves beating the earth, coming at a full gallop, and she couldn't seee them, she just stood there and waited for them to run by...and well it's time to make some coffee, so it goes with life on the Navajo rez.....
Go to Top of Page

jrustywire
Tribal Council Member

449 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  11:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrustywire's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacksta_

ya'a'teeh rusty

you still at canyon de chelly?

was thinking of maybe driving out there this weekend to meet up with you...I want to hear your stories in person

jacksta

Go to Top of Page

chiage
Elder

3452 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your old stories so much and sure miss reading your new ones. Hope you're keeping well!

Moot - "You can have your brain, Bella. I'd rather have a heart."
Danny Moon - "Johnnie said fricative. Heh. "
Rach - "I just threw up in my mouth a little."
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Indianz.Com © Indianz.Com Go To Top Of Page