FROM THE ARCHIVE
Court criticizes Norton for trust fund statements
Facebook Twitter Email
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2002

Last Updated: 6 p.m. EDT.

A federal judge today criticized the Department of Interior for sending out trust fund statements to the guardians of 1,200 Indian children without first seeking his approval.

At a hearing in federal court this afternoon, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth said he was "disturbed" by the government's actions. "Isn't the court in control?" he asked.

Phil Seligman, a Department of Justice attorney, defended the mailings that went out to minor members of the White Mountain Apache Tribe of Arizona last month. He said Secretary of Interior Gale Norton is required to provide the information to Indian beneficiaries.

"We weren't trying to go behind the court's back," he protested.

But Dennis Gingold, lead attorney for the plaintiffs in the Cobell v. Norton lawsuit, said the incident was yet another example of the government's attempt to mislead the court and Indian Country.

"If Enron did this, it would be mail fraud," he told Lamberth.

Gingold asked Lamberth to enter a temporary restraining order to prevent future statements from being distributed. According to The Arizona Republic, the Interior was planning on sending two waves of statements in the coming weeks.

But Seligman voluntarily agreed to stop the mailings on behalf of the government, thus preventing Lamberth from imposing another order in the lengthy and bitter case.

Lamberth further ordered Norton's attorneys to explain a number of key issues regarding the statements. He was troubled by a new Interior policy -- approved by Deputy Secretary J. Steven Griles without public comment -- that "extinguishes" the rights of Indian account holders within 60 days.

"I don't understand how that can be," said Lamberth.

The statements in question purport to represent an historical accounting of a judgment fund. The department said it was able to reconcile the money and its records matched the account balances.

The judgment fund accounts differ from the oil, gas, timber and other revenue-based activity that characterize the Cobell suit. Six years into the case, the Interior has been unable to perform an historical accounting of any of these type of accounts.

Relevant Links:
Indian Trust: Cobell v. Norton - http://www.indiantrust.com
Cobell v. Norton, Department of Justice - http://www.usdoj.gov/civil/cases/cobell/index.htm
Indian Trust, Department of Interior - http://www.doi.gov/indiantrust
Trust Reform, NCAI - http://www.ncai.org/main/pages/
issues/other_issues/trust_reform.asp

Related Stories:
DOI still mailing trust statements (10/31)
Judge schedules trust fund hearing (10/30)
Let court review trust fund accounts (10/11)
Interior mails trust fund 'accounting' (10/11)
Norton's denials ring hollow (9/20)
Judge rejects Norton's 'absurd' accounting claim (9/23)
Norton 'unfit' to manage Indian trust (9/18)
Griles nearly perjured himself (9/18)
Interior avoids admission of trust standards (07/24)
Bush plan ignored historical accounting doubts (7/16)
Deadline nears for trust fund accounting plan (5/7)
Interior rebuffed on historical accounting (4/24)
Bush administration bets on accounting (3/18)
Norton says accounting complete for plaintiffs (2/14)

Stay Connected
Contact
Search
Most Read
News Archive
2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000

About This Page

You are enjoying stories from the Indianz.Com Archive, a collection dating back to 2000. Some outgoing links may no longer work due to age.

All stories are available for publishing via Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)